Wednesday 30 January 2013

PROJECT #2: Art Nouveau Soap Box


For my Art Nouveau Soap Box, I chose to base the brand and the design on a dragonfly (or the libellule in French, a reference to the European origins of the style). Much of Art Nouveau work was inspired from nature, so I thought it was fitting to organize my design around the same principles. The dragonfly was a popular motif in the movement, and is considered a symbol for "pure water", which I felt was fitting for soap. I drew much of my inspiration for colour and form from the art nouveau jewellery, particularly that of RenĂ© Lalique, a designer who created intricate, vibrant and decadent pieces. 


Dragon Fly Woman by RenĂ© Lalique |  Art Nouveau Dragonfly Brooch by Elizabeth Bonte


I felt a traditional rectangular box would be unsuitable for the subject, so I chose to create a box that was curvilinear in its shape, and would open organically. By making the wings as the clasp to open the box, I was able to add an additional sculptural element to the packaging, that would reference my original idea of a dragonfly landing on water. The packaging would be a atypical for a mass produced product, but I wanted to create a luxury product for a more bourgeois, upperclass consumer.

Resources:
  1. Box Template
  2. Dragonfly Wings
  3. Font: NouveauFLF by Casady & Greene